- It only takes three minutes to let your member(s) of Congress know you want them to support legislation that strengthens U.S.-Taiwan relations and helps to protect Taiwan's important democracy.
- Take action on each piece of legislation. Don't worry if you can't remember which one you already took action on, the system will let you know if you try to do it twice.
- ACT uses the POPVOX system to route your message to members of Congress. The password you create for this maybe different than for the ACT site.
Since the enactment of the Taiwan Relations Act, ties between the United States and Taiwan have suffered from insufficient high-level communication due to the self-imposed restrictions that the United States maintains on visits by high ranking officials to Taiwan.
The Taiwan Travel Act (H.R. 535) encourages visits between U.S. and Taiwanese officials at all levels of government. Important points of the bill are:
- It should be the policy of the United States to allow officials at all levels of the U.S. government, including cabinet-level national security officials, general officers, and other executive branch officials, to travel to Taiwan to meet their Taiwanese counterparts.
- High-level officials of Taiwan should also be allowed to enter the United States, under conditions which demonstrate appropriate respect for the dignity of such officials, and to meet with U.S. officials, including those from the Department of State and the Department of Defense and other cabinet agencies
“As a thriving democracy, Taiwan is vital to U.S. interests in the region. By encouraging more frequent visits between our two governments – including at the highest levels – we will further strengthen the critical U.S.-Taiwan partnership.” -House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-CA)
Take three minutes to enter your information below so we can identify your Representative and send a message asking them to support this important legislation. For more information on the bill and to see the full text of the bill, go to the POPVOX page on the bill. If you are using POPVOX for the first time, please check your email for the confirmation and confirm your email, otherwise the message will not be sent to your member of Congress.
Read our companion piece, Open Washington Doors to Taiwan Official Visits.